TEMPORARY WORK: Join us in an hourly paid temp role across our logistics and manufacturing sites, and help us provide food for the nation during these difficult times.Find out more
Hilmore House isn’t just where we grow our business - it’s playing an incredibly important role in co-ordinating our response as we feed the nation during the pandemic. And that means it’s buzzing with activity. A career in buying offers plenty of variety. You’ll source and select ranges. You’ll negotiate deals and agreements. You’ll forecast sales and trade plans and you’ll play a big role in everything from promotions and new product development to product launches, marketing and packaging.
In our buying teams there may be the opportunity to go out and meet our suppliers to build great relationships.
Our modernised way of working in Hilmore House includes a 4 day working week, plus an additional saturday every 4 weeks. You’ll spend time in Hilmore House working alongside your team as well as spending time working or studying from home.
What our 2-year scheme involves
Taking on early responsibility in a fast-paced area where strategies can change in the blink of an eye, you’ll start as a buying assistant before training to become a buyer of a product area.
Learning on-the-job, you’ll experience supplier negotiations, spend time with our experienced buyers and go on placements within a store to understand our customers and colleagues, before being given your own buying area. This scheme gives you the chance to impact on our success, make us even more competitive and eventually take charge of a category, including budget responsibility.
What you’ll need
- Great communication and listening skills and the ability to lead, influence and build strong working relationships with a diverse team of people
- Be confident with a positive attitude, resilient and driven to succeed
- To be good with numbers with plenty of common sense
- Have the ability to see the fine detail and keep up-to-speed with products, competitors and the market
- Currently in your final year of your degree/masters or have graduated in the last two years
- A minimum 2:1 degree
- A full UK driving license
“From the minute you join, you’re given loads of responsibility which allows you to develop really fast.”
Joe - Buying Graduate